Saturday

Research (blah)


My husband Jeremy is a terrific researcher and he likes to do it (gag me). I, however, do not enjoy extensive research, and am more inclined to just dive in and try. When it comes to enameling copper jewelry, I am less likely to dive in because there are safety issues to consider, expensive investments (like buying a kiln), and I really want to follow tried and true practices. I know there will be some trial and error, but I’d like it to be more about experimenting and not because I ignorantly cut corners.

I started out researching online. It’s free, it’s quick, and it was the obvious place to start. I also checked Borders but didn’t find one book about enameling (granted it was a small Borders). Then I relied on my fellow Etsy sellers. I emailed several shops that sell beautiful enameled work and asked if they could recommend any resources to help get me started in learning the technique. So far two sellers have replied and they both recommended the same book, Linda Darty’s The Art of Enameling. They both said that they still refer to the book. So I bought it on Amazon and I’m reading some each night. It is a great book, and all the colored pictures are very helpful. So far I’m compiling a list of the supplies I’ll need. My next step is to estimate their prices so I know about how much this new venture is going to cost me upfront. I visited a local art store but they didn’t have any jewelry making or enameling supplies, but the lady recommended Georgie’s in Portland. So I checked their web site, and of course they don’t offer their enameling items online. But I’m not discouraged, it may turn out to be better to physically go into the store and maybe even learn something from an employee. Hey, they may even know of another place where I can take an introductory class. My sweet husband helped me in researching enameling classes. To my surprise, he found a class in Portland at a bead shop I’m familiar with. I called to reserve my spot 2 months before the class and it’s full. I’m on the waiting list, but I was pretty bummed.

I also met a woman at work who fuses glass to make pendants. We’re going to meet for break to discuss kilns and what she knows. Meeting her during my lay-off notice was a bright spot during that difficult time. It encouraged me further to pursue learning this technique and following my vision.

So the research continues, especially for a hands-on class less than 4 hours away. If I can learn enough from my book and online resources I may dive in. I’m not sure how much longer I can wait to get my feet wet. If I do dive in I will be as well informed as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment