Monday

Obsessed with burlap


Okay, I'm never really obsessed with anything (except for Pride & Prejudice) but I have been loving the look of burlap. As I prepare for the Deepwood Estates Vintage Flea Market show in September I've decided to revamp my canopy display. I can fit 3 six foot tables in a 'U' shape under the canopy and I want each tablecloth to have burlap on it in some way. My sewing skills are less than mediocre but they're doable so I started out by flipping my table upside-down and traced the burlap to make a fitted tablecloth. It's not perfect but burlap is very forgiving and the best part of it was that my 5 year old daughter helped with every step. Each year I look forward to the projects we can do together. So the fitted table cloth is a light cream burlap and it looks great. This weekend I finished the second table. I used the standard brown burlap to pleat around the edge of a door. There are only pleats in the front but the burlap covers all the sides of the table. There's even a ruffle so that I didn't have to cut the dusty burlap. I hammered upholstery nails symmetrically around it, and this one also turned out great! I have a little of the brown burlap left so instead of buying more I'll make do with it for the third table. I think it would work best to sew a 6 foot piece of burlap just on the top of an existing white table cloth so that it's not completely burlap and has some shimmery polyester too. The white, browns, and cream are great neutrals with my other display pieces and I can't wait to do a mock set-up with my canopy. The curtains I sewed for the canopy will add some sophistication to the entire look. I have just over a month to finish up everything, getting ready for this large event is very exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your display (it is honestly my favorite part). I was reading some of your posts. I have an almost kindergartener and a love of jane austen. I live in Portland and have been dabbling in some of the salem shows and will be at Deepwood also. It will be nice to meet you!

    xo~ Christine

    ReplyDelete