Wednesday

Tools


When it comes to jewelry making tools there are several considerations and decisions to make. Depending on the type of jewelry you’re making depends a lot on what tools you’ll need and how much you'll have to spend. My first set of tools were some pliers, they were inexpensive and highly functional for my needs. I didn’t know the difference between the cheap and expensive and I am self-taught so I didn’t have anyone to ask or advise. After 7 years though I’ve come to learn that you get what you pay for. Some tools don’t vary much in price like metal stamping. I stamp designs and words on brass, sterling, and copper and although I’ve found a difference in quality and ease of use, the tools are all around the same price. However, when using pliers to do wire wrapping etc. there are ergonomic pliers, cheap pliers that just don’t last, and commercial grade tools that require some safety considerations. Just be informed, and invest wisely. I didn’t know how long I’d make jewelry, I certainly didn’t know I’d open an online shop as well as sale at our local Saturday Market, but I started out learning and so investing in nice tools long-term came later.

Other crafts require serious consideration regarding up-front costs and estimating profits. How long will it take me to pay for my enameling supplies because buying a kiln is expensive? Finding the best resources and taking classes will give you the best tool you need, information! My enameling book, The Art of Enameling by Linda Darty goes over all the supplies I need and could want, and she shares how to make some of the tools instead of buying them. So being informed can save you money and help you to make wise decisions from the start. In regards to enameling I’m not concerned about it being a profitable art (because I’m sure it will), but I’m more concerned about how long I’ll be interested in using this technique to create lovely art. I love the final product and I’m still obsessing about making something, but what if I don’t like the process of making it after a while? This is when taking a class could end up saving you money in the long run. Like I said, information is your best tool. If you’re not informed, get informed. Etsy.com has tons of forums with people who love to help, and it’s possible that your question has already been answered. Google any question, and see what you get. People are so helpful and generous with their information and education, and it’s a nice way to network also. Being known in your craft community can be so much fun and build long-lasting friendships too. I’m really preaching to myself here because I don’t enjoy research but it is the best approach before making important decisions. It is possible to over-analyze and waste time researching, but I don’t personally have to worry about that~

No comments:

Post a Comment