Tuesday


When it’s time to create my designs, I usually use the kitchen table. This way I’m around my family, there’s plenty of space, and the lighting is good. My daughter has been around beads and craft supplies her whole life so she’s really good about putting items back where she got them. And it’s not extremely fascinating to her because she’s use to it. She gives me compliments on the finished pieces (total sweetie), and helps me name them. I hope that I can inspire her to create anything she wants to, at any age she wants to try something. I think she’s learning at a young age to put things back where they go, and being organized makes things easier. My husband is amazed (yes, being organized is a learned behavior too).

The nice thing about having all my supplies in organizers is that they’re portable, and I know exactly where to look to find something. There are several ways to organize your supplies, but I have opted to arrange my beads by color. I start with a design in mind and know what colors I’m going to use. It’s so easy to pick out the right beads when all the same color is together. There are endless shades, shapes, and sheens but it’s narrowed down when I start with the color I need. My friend Kathleen organizes her beads by type. She has grouped pearls, gemstones, glass, Lucite, etc. and this works for her. You can get organized to fit how you think and work best.

As many of you crafters know, it’s as much of a job cleaning your studio as it is in creating your crafts, but if you can start with an organized foundation it will save you time and make clean-up much easier. If you don’t have room for a studio, you still deserve to keep your supplies in an organized fashion. There are tons of organizers for scrapbookers and papercrafters, as well as sewing and painting organizers. And there are several sizes and types of Tupperware and baskets. Be sure to find something suitable for your craft, designate a spot (even if it’s the corner of a closet) and you’ll be able to enjoy working with these supplies without being discouraged about the mess and clean-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment